A studio interview at the SIBOS Global Conference in Boston, laying out the fundamentals of Platform Thinking.
What happens when industries start moving towards platforms? Which kinds of firms manage the transition well and which ones get left behind? What are the key factors that drive success for a firm moving towards platforms.
At SIBOS 2014 in Boston last week, I was invited to deliver a short keynote on applying Platform Thinking in the Banking Industry. The keynote was followed by a TV interview with former BBC anchor Daisy McAndrews, where we discuss the basics of Platform Thinking and the characteristics of industries that manage this transformation. In particular, we discuss the following:
– An overview of the shift from pipes to platforms
– The three critical components of a platform
– Industries that are most likely to get disrupted and shift to platforms
– Characteristics of firms that get left behind
– Factors that push an industry towards platforms
– A brief overview of aspects of platform architecture beyond technology
An 8 minute primer on #platformthinking Share this
Understanding #platformthinking Share this
Understanding the platform economy Share this
The three layers of a platform… and more Share this
Check out the video below to hear all of it in a quick 8-minute shot. And if you’d like to learn more about the research and work at Platform Thinking Labs, feel free to drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What makes some products inherently viral?
Contrary to popular wisdom, launching at a tech conference may be a bad idea unless you can leverage organic interactions at the event.